Intermission


Before I get to the next posting regarding articling and beyond I have to comment on an event that took place in June, 2024, about three weeks ago.

While most of my experience with the chiropractic profession will be set out in detail in future posts, I have to comment at this time, on the event that took place at the convocation ceremony by the Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College at the Roy Thompson Hall in Toronto.

Since, the late 70's I have been general counsel to CMCC; its Board of Governors and its President.  My position, as its lawyer, was at the pleasure of the President.  There was never, nor is there now, a contract of any length of time.  Simply, I could be dismissed at will, or leave whenever I pleased (subject to professional rules).  Since, as I indicated, I was working at the pleasure of the President, Dr. Wickes, the President of CMCC, "requested" my attendance at convocation.  I had missed his first and this was to be his last attendance.  When he asked me why I was not at his first convocation, I would joking answer that I didn't think he would last a year.

Anyway, I showed up, took a seat in the vip section, took off my suit jacket and proceeded to fill in the daily sudoku puzzle.  I was half way through when Dr. Wickes began his Presidential address.  He is a great orator so I was paying attention.  

I recall only being surprised a couple of time in my life, and this was one of the times.  Dr. Wickes informed everyone in attendance that there was to be an honour bestowed on someone in attendance.  I have to apologize if I don't get the entire incident correctly, but as I recall, he started listing off the attributes and history of the individual.  It didn't take long before I realized that he was talking about me.  I immediately turned to Margaret McCallen, who knows everything that goes on at CMCC and asked if she knew about this.  She feigned a lack of knowledge.

The presentation went on for what seemed way too long.  It was announced that I was being given a Fellowship in the International College of Chiropractors.  This is an organization that has been in existence since about the 1920's and has a total of about 1900 members of which there are about 75 in Canada.  I was in shock.  There was a standing ovation for what again seemed like way too long.

I am truly honoured by the appointment.  When convocation was over, I was greeted with many congratulations and a couple of individuals asking why it took so long or why I didn't get an honorary doctorate.  My reply was that the nominator for the appointment was still probably debating whether the application would be taken serious.  As afar as an honorary doctorate, I often get referred to as Dr. Freedman, and anyone can get an honorary PHD  - few people have the designation FICC.

My thanks to the Board of Governors and to Dr. David Wickes.  I suppose as legal counsel I should be happy to know that the Executive Committee of the Board is able to keep a secret.

So that was last month.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

No comments:

Post a Comment