It has been a couple of wild weeks which have involved dealing with Human Rights Complaints; privacy issues; judicial review applications and the usual amount of aggravation.

But back to history.

By the middle of start if the 80's I was teaching 2 hours a week for the entire school year. It was actually quite enjoyable because the students were deeply interested in knowing and being prepared for what was going on in the real world. The third year course prepared the students for clinic and the fourth year course was to provide information on the establishment and operation of a health care clinic.

The issues in chiropractic in my first ten years of being involved in the profession were interesting, entertaining and adventurous. I took great pleasure in fighting some of the battles which continued with respect to the attitude of hospitals, governments and other health care workers. I didn't appreciate chiropractors being referred to as "mr" and I appreciated even less the attitude of a hospital or medical doctor who thought that patient information was not going to be provided to a chiropractor, even with the consent of a patient. Pro Bono work dealing with such nonsense was rewarding.

I recall one incident in the late 70's; early 80's where a west end Toronto newspaper writer decided he would do an expose on chiropractic. It was worse than junk science with no factual information -- just basic nonsense about the educational background and training of chiropractors at CMCC. It was a two part series. I recalled the writer's name and so I did a little research. It turned out the writer had been a pharmacist who had run afoul of his licensing body and had his license revoked for fraud. My letter to the publisher gave a polite request for the writer to refrain from any further such reports or he could deal with the fallout of the lack of integrity of the writer. My language was a little bit more colourful, but in any event he must have gotten the message. We never heard from the writer on the issue again. As I said, those were interesting times.

No comments:

Post a Comment