It just doesn't quiet down. When I thought I would get some time to do some more writing, I end up with a few more urgent issues. I just finished dealing with a judicial review application but more will be said of that when the decision is released in late August. The results were as expected and quite satisfactory, even though a little sad for the individual on the other side of the application.

Anyway, by the time I had taught my risk management course for a few years -- consideration was given to increasing the information that was to be taught to graduating students in the area of practice management. The course was being taught by a chiropractor, but was a little off the mark for what was necessary to establish a professional practice. This was not unusual since I knew of no professional school in Canada that was preparing professionals for anything other than their specific discipline. I graduated from law school with almost no knowledge relating to matters relating to practice. It was a matter of "trial by error".

In about 1980 or so, I was asked to co-teach a course in practice management and by 1982 I was left to start teaching both risk management and practice management. At its "height", I was teaching a third year course preparing the students for risk management issues in practice and a fourth year course in practice management. While it would have been easier just to provide the information myself, it was not a "legitimate" method of presenting information to the students.

As such, I cajoled, dragged in, begged, pleaded and coerced individuals to assist in the teaching of the course through guest lectures. From about 1982 until the completion of my teaching, the students had the privilege of having lectures given by the following individuals: Ernie Wolkin, Paul Carey, Greg Dunn, Jo-Ann Willson, Sil Mior, Jean Moss, Chris Paliare, Linda Rothstein, Ian Roland, Maureen McCandless, Doug Brown, Nick Tantalo, Harry James, Len Goodman, Don Nixdorf, and a further group of architects, accountants, bankers, and chiropractors.

These individuals who gave of their time and expertise to provide the students with invaluable information that very few people could afford to obtain on an hourly basis. I was never quite sure that the students understood or appreciated what they were receiving, but occassionaly years after graduation I would meet a student who would actually express appreciation for the depth of information that was being provided to them by these experts.

The information being given to the student through the lectures should have been enough. But a chance discussion with Dr. Brian Seaman, a 1982 graduate, of Halifax, Nova Scotia and a member of the Board of Governors of CMCC led to a new dimension in chiropractic education. An innovation that I have been proud of ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment