7.

In 1981 I had been asked to introduce Dr. David Drum as a speaker at the graduation banquet. To show how ridiculous my memory is -- it was held at the Holiday Inn City Hall. Alan Thicke was the main speaker and there was an additional chiropractor who was speaking. I recall his name but will not mention it since his talk was far from successful. Actually, if you want to receive an ovation from an audience, I learned from him that just keep talking 20 minutes past your allotted time and the audience will clap until you shut up and sit down.

The difficulty was that I had to stand up and introduce David right after the long winded speaker. The audience was not happy and I had to try and get them back in the right mood. I suppose it went ok because, as I have indicated the next year they wanted me to be the Master of Ceremonies. and here is that story.....

As I recall, to the best of my recollection, I was asked in about February if I would take on the task which was to happen in May. This is the class which, in first year, I was to read the riot act to. It was made up of some fantastic individuals who would become leaders of the profession including Brian Seaman and Peter McGee.

I inquired as to the number of participants and was told about 350 people. Since I had not done a banquet before I was a little hesitant but being that I have never been smart enough to turn down a challenge I accepted.

My late father-in-law was a tailor. When he heard what was involved he decided I needed a new custom made tuxedo. Things were looking good. I then started on my list of stories, introductions, jokes, etc. That started taking at least an hour a day. I still have the same jokes in my repertoire.

By March the organizers indicated to me that the attendance had increased to about 600 people (and not because of my participation). Again, I was too stupid to worry.

I decided that I would step up the event and visited a magic shop. I bought two items. One to throw a flame and the other to turn a hankie into a cane. The latter was easy. When I showed the first trick to my secretaries I proceeded to burn the hair off my hand and arm -- so that idea was put to rest.

By the end of April I was told that attendance was now at about 800. It seems that all 150 or so students would be attending with their significant others and a litany of family members. Still no problem.

The date eventually arrived and I travelled with my wife to the Inn on the Park. As I was entering the building I was accosted by Mark Robson and a couple of other individuals who indicated that they had underestimated the participation. Apparently the crowd now numbered 1100 and tables were being set up as the event was to begin. I really must have been in a fog because I wasn't ready for the payback the students were giving me for the attitude that I must have had when teaching them. But what the heck they promised to triple my fee -- I negotiated for 4 times (4 times zero is ...... well you work out the math.)

I entered the banquet room -- there was pandemonium in people getting to their tables. I had to introduce myself. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment