Monday morning I awoke at 6:15 am. sharp and got dressed like a real lawyer and ready to head downtown to Court to defend myself with respect to my speeding ticket. Court was at 9:00 but with Toronto traffic you can never leave too early -- so I left the house at 7:00. Two hours early and no one to bill the time to.

I got downtown with about an hour and half to spare. I read the Globe and walked the PATH. Of course the weather was sprinkly and humid. Great for wearing a suit.

I spent most of the time working on my defence and final closing. Since I have spent almost no time in traffic court I was expecting the worst -- a long line of accussed individuals with my case being at the bottom of the list.

Now I know enough about traffic court to know that a jury trial was out of the question. Since this was my first time up on the charge I did not know if bail was going to be granted -- but then I recall that you don't have to worry about bail in traffic court.

So then I focused on my defence or lack thereof. I could plead not guilty by reason of insanity -- but I have used that one way too many times. I could plead necessity but all my speeding is a necessity. I then decided that maybe I could "name drop". If I mentioned who I was married to; or acted for; or was related to; or who my friends were -- maybe I get get some sympathy. If all else failed, I could throw out some latin phrases like Res Judicata; or Ex Turpi Causa Non Oritur Actio; or Mens Rea. They all sound good and have nothing to do with anything.

Finally I met the crown counsel at 8:50 told him what I was going to do. Court started at 9:01. My case was called. The crown counsel pointed out that the ticket was defective and at 9:01:30 I left the court a free man. Wiser for the experience and sure to be a better driver.

justice was done.

ps. by the way -- the notice of trial set out the fine that was payable in the event of a conviction including victim surcharge as $5.01. But it was the principal (or principle) of the matter. So -- about $4.00 of gas; $6.75 for parking; cleaning my dress shirt $2.50; about three hours of going to the court and then the office - mega dollars; preparation time -- minimal.

but the experience -- priceless. if anyone can get a speeding ticket for $5.01 let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment