Insurance Guests

The scenario that is presented to me over the telephone involves an individual appearing at a doctor's office to see the doctor.  The purpose is to interview the doctor and review some patient files.  No appointment had been arranged for the individual and doctor to meet.

The phone call is usually from a distraught staff member who has been told to call me and find out what obligations exist for the doctor to meet with the insurance individual who is somewhat forceful in their approach to the fact that the doctor must meet with the uninvited individual.

The last time this occurred, this is what happened:

I asked the staff member whether a meeting had been arranged.  She indicated that the insurance person showed up uninvited.  I asked what the individual requested.  The insurance person requested a face to face discussion with the chiropractor and a review of approximately 10 files.

I told the staff member to put the individual on the phone with me.  I introduced myself to the individual and asked her to introduce herself.   I then indicated that by chance I had an insurance policy in place with the insurance company that she represented.  I asked her if I was to go to downtown Toronto, walk into the very large office tower in  which the insurance company was situate, was to take the elevator to the floor on which the president of the insurance company was located and advised the secretary that I wanted to meet the president and review my file without an appointment do you think that the meeting would take place.   I told her that it was a rhetorical question  -- that she should contact the office by mail or email -- make an appointment and otherwise leave the office.

The insurance person was a little astonished by the response, gave the phone back to the staff member and left the office.

If a person visits your office who is duly authorized to meet with you without permission, ie. the police or the licencing board then they may well be entitled to meet with you  -- but even that requires advice and most likely intervention by appropriate legal counsel prior to the meeting actually taking place.

While it may seem polite, it is a disaster waiting to happen when a doctor is ambushed into such meetings  -- and remember "no good deed ever goes unpunished".

have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment