Part 10

I was thinking whether anything else of interest happened in first year law school.  I do remember having a great admiration for the librarian - Margaret Banks - who was famous among law schools.  She was able to help me a great deal with research and knowing how to make great use of a law library.  And back then it was important (no computer, no internet and definitely no chatgpt).

Other than that, it was always nose to the grindstone.  It is true that: first year law school - they scare you to death; second year they work you to death; and third year they bore you to death.  It was just like that, except in first year they scared and worked students beyond what should have been allowable.

I had survived the snoring of my roommate, moot court, assignments and everything else that could be thrown at us including the fact that we had to attend at a class after the previous class had income tax such that the room smelled like a locker room from the "sweat" of the students.  The room really smelled of "fear".

So now it was exam time -- ie. hell on earth.  We were all paranoid but as the saying goes  -- that does not mean that the world is not out to get you!  Reading, making notes, reading some more, guessing what would be on the exam, more reading and more notes.  

When it was finished I moved back home.  It was the beginning of May.  I had a job working in a metal factory.  To this day I can't get the smell of steel and oil together, out of my brain.

I was getting married on June 18th and waiting for my grades.  If I was not successful in first year I was contemplating getting in my car and heading out of town, permanently.  So weeks went by with no results.

It was now the second week of June and I was so paranoid that I tracked down the personal phone number of one of my professors and begged to know if I had passed first year.  I must have been very persuasive because he actually told me I had passed.  

I had previously gotten hold of the wedding invitation and replied that I would be there if I had nothing else arranged.   Little did anyone know that I was serious.   I received the grades on the Friday and got married on the Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment