PART 9

I have to set out an incident that happened in first year Torts Class.

We had an interesting professor who came from South Africa whose initials were HJ.  Now, I believe that if individuals were not going to be lawyers they were going to be actors of some nature.  Particularly law professors.

One particular class that comes to mind involved the case of Palgrave v Long Island Railway (I can't believe that after 50 years I can still remember certain cases.  Ms Palgrave was suing Long Island Railway because she was injured when a conductor helped (pushed) a rider to get on the train.  He dropped a package which exploded and caused damage to Ms. Palgrave.

The professor came into class with a package.  It was obvious that at the appropriate time he would drop the package.  I sat in the back of the class with MB.  I had with me a small new years eve pull string that would let out a bang with streamers.  When the professor dropped the package I pulled the stream which let out a very loud bang.  The students jumped and the professor grabbed his chest and sat down.  

Everyone let out a roar and MB and I quickly collected the streamers under the desk.  The professor wanted to know who had done it.  No one pointed at me and I did not volunteer to admit to the act.  He didn't suffer a heart attack, even though I initially thought that I might have killed him.

Looking back, it was a dangerous move that could have gotten me kicked out of school.  But it was great.

Other than that, I sort of behaved myself during first year.

No comments:

Post a Comment