Part 12

We end up at the Cavendish Motel on the north shore of PEI.   Quaint and perfect.  That is our stomping ground for a few days in PEI.  We drive to the northwest corner of PEI and most of the area.  We have a Sunday meal at St. Anne's Church and the highlight was me watching swimmers in the St. Lawrence and thinking that it would be a great day to swim.  wrong.  I ran into the water and instantly froze.  It must have been a set up from locals to get someone from Toronto to run like heck from the freezing water and looking quite ridiculous.  it worked.

Our next journey was to Nova Scotia and straight to Sydney on Cape Breton Island.  Fantastic.  We did the trip into the mines and saw the fort at Louisburg.  Then down to Halifax and a visit to Peggy's Cove while it was still in its natural state.  I have been back to Peggy's Cove a couple of time and to Cavendish once -  unfortunately there is now a serious tourist area in Cavendish with an amusement park.  It is not amusing!

After the stay in Nova Scotia we travelled to New Brunswick.  We had to visit the magnetic hill which really is strange.  Then in St. John were were at the beach when I decided to travel out to the water's edge.  It seemed like a good idea until the tide came in and I found out that I was standing on a little hill.  I had to walk back to shore in  water up to my waist.  Clothes and all.

And then came an experience which radically changed by life.

While travelling in a residential area of St. John on a Sunday afternoon, smoke came out of the hood of my dad's car.   I pulled over in what someone from a middle class family Toronto might think of as a working class area.  That was my first thought.  My second thought was that I was screwed.

A number of people were sitting on their front steps.  I am not sure if they were smoking or drinking beer with the men in tshirts (what used to be called by another name that I never liked).  Anyway, a few of them came to the car to see what was happening.  The hood of the car was lifted and vapour escaped.  The initial diagnosis was a water pipe had ruptured.

There appeared to be a gas station at the end of the street.  The men agreed or simply told me that they would push the car to the gas station.  I was still freaked out since I had little cash on me and only a gas credit card while driving a big new Buick with Ontario licence plates.

As I said it was Sunday but the gas station was open  --  turned out to be the only gas station.  The owner took a look and told me that he might be able to repair it.  We pushed the car into an empty bay and waited outside.  I started counting dollars in my head.  He finally came out and said that he didn't have the parts but would send his son to hopefully find some.   More dollars in my head.

While the son was driving around the City I told the neighbours who had grown to about a dozen or more about us being on our honeymoon, from Toronto, me being a student, and driving my dad's car.  All the while, me thinking of how I was going to pay for the repairs.

The son finally returned without any parts.  The owner then told us that he would try and make a temporary pipe to deal with the issue.   More $$$$$.   After about 30 minutes, the owner came out and told us that he had taken care of the entire problem and that we could be on our way.

I sheepishly asked how much I owed him.  That is when the life altering experience took place.   He said there was no charge!!!  I was mortified at my having thought that I was going to be taken advantage of.  My love for easterners happened at that moment together with my deciding to pay forward that kindness for the rest of my life.

I had a few dollars so I bought everyone a soft drink (.25 cents).  

As an example of paying forward the experience, during my teaching, I was asked to swear declarations by students in 4th year with respect to licence examinations and registration.  Over the years, probably 30 years times 150 students time 2 applications.  No charge.  Lawyers are able to charge and many charge $25 or $50 per any declaration that they sign.  I could have used the money but the service was much more important.  That is just one example.

And then we ended up back in London Ontario at our new apartment and the beginning of a 52 year run.

No comments:

Post a Comment