Part 14

For most students, the major risk in attending law school is having a nervous breakdown (there were some in my class), or packing the bags and getting out of town permanently.  But I always look for new ways to have an adventure.

My family law professor JM and I would have a weekly squash game.  Friendly but still involving full body contact.  One winter night (I remember it being winter since it was snowing and snowing heavily.)  during one of our "friendly" games I hit the ball across the court and he proceeded to hit it straight back at his position.  Not one to shy away from an attempt to return the shot - I reached for the ball  -- JM tripped me - though he denied it --  and my racket tore open part of his arm.  I strained, sprained or did something to my ankle.

I had to call Judy who drove to the athletic building and collected me and my sparing partner and took us both to the University of Western Ontario Hospital on campus.  We were in our shorts etc and the snow was coming down heavy!  When we got to the hospital his arm was covered with a towel with evidence of blood and I was hoping on one leg holding on to his shoulder.   It was a quiet night in the hospital and as soon as we walked in a couple of nurses burst out laughing.  We made one heck of a sight.

The next day, he came to school with his arm in a sling and I went in on crutches.  It didn't take long before the entire school heard about what had happened  - our at least each of our version of the events - mine obviously being the correct version.

The school came out with an edict that faculty and students should not participate together in any sport activity.  

However, while knowing only the elementary rules of chess, I started a chess tournament which involved faculty and students.  I made sure that chess was not a sport!  I did however arrange the matches and for some unknown reason, a faculty member won the tournament.

And that is my story, and I am sticking to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment