4.

After two or three months of preparing lectures, Prof. Rozeiu sent me a copy of the course outline last used. I was a little embarrassed. I had been preparing lectures concerning the establishment of laws, the Magna Carta, the Napoleonic Code, ad nauseum The course outline give to me set out lectures on Intentional Torts, Negligence etc. It was a relief to know that the lectures would actually have some relevance.

So, after hand writing out nine lectures, getting my best suit pressed and being sent off to school on the first day of lectures, I stood in front of the fourth year class in September, 1976. It was a stressful situation. The students were my age or older and frankly had just about as much experience in life as I had. I just had one thing that they didn’t -- a law degree.

I had always wanted to teach. In third year law school I had been offered a teaching position at McMaster University in the MBA program. I would be entered in the course, teach and continue my articles. It would be a great set up except that the Law Society would not allow a part time articling program and not wanting to postpone the inevitable ordeal I passed on the once in a lifetime opportunity. The next great opportunity presented itself at CMCC.

Sitting in the class at 1900 Bayview Avenue were such future chiropractors as Howie Vernon, Bob Haig, Roberta Koch, and John Cosgrove. Since I am doing this through long-term memory and without reviewing extraneous documents, I apologize to anyone whom I forget to reference.

My first lesson was not so much of what I taught the soon to be doctors of chiropractic but what the students taught me. It is a simple lesson that animal trainers and teachers learn early in their careers -- “show no fear”. If you do, you will be eaten alive. So, I held my ground and acted as if I was speaking from experience – all at the ripe old age of 27 years. I also learned the second important lesson: “The key to success is sincerity, and once you can fake sincerity you have it made.” The lessons were coming fast and furious.

I remember the year going by rather uneventfully. I met some interesting individuals on staff: Don Sutherland, Terry Watkins, Lee Anderson, Adrian Grice, Jean Moss, Glen Engel, Brian Schut, and Don Henderson. There were many, many more but even my memory doesn’t work that well. I do recall being at the Christmas Party and being one of the few people who did not eat the potato salad and being quite grateful for the next few days.

I also remember attending at Graduation in May 1977, being the first of continuous graduations that I have attended religiously since that first convocation. It was always my favourite day of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment