5.

I spent the summer of 1977 revising my lectures – actually I did it while babysitting a newborn son, the second of three. The material was taking on a flavour beyond merely being the diatribe of a lawyer talking to a jury.

I can’t recall much of the teachings of 70’s other than a couple of incidents which are embedded in my diary of interesting escapades. The first involved a fourth year class that wanted to “strike” in the name of student power. It was an interesting battle of wills. In any event, the students were in school, in clinic and not picketing on the streets. The second incident involved me being asked by the Dean, Terry Watkins, to go into the first year class and advise them of the attendance policy of the school. It was like Daniel walking into an arena filled with Lions. The students led by Peter McGee advised me in no uncertain terms that such demands were beyond the realm of maturity. During those days, students actually attended the classes that they were paying for. The first year class was the class of 1982 – a very, very memorable class.

During me early years at CMCC I met up with legends in the chiropractic profession, many of whom have been friends through the decades. In particular there is the legendary, Douglas M. Brown, a prolific writer, a wit beyond compare, a defender of the faith in all things CMCC and many more things that would fill a litany of chapters in the history of chiropractic. We first met at a CMCC fundraiser. I was handling the wheel of fortune. He was handling another money grab. Not that I am overly competitive, but there was no way that I was going to let a chiropractor beat me at separating attendees from the cash in their wallets. It’s a lawyer thing. Anyway, we introduced ourselves and have been friends ever since.

I also had the privilege of meeting such individuals as Dr. Herb Lee, Richard Luck, Len Cunningham, Ken Smith, Darrel Ladell, Ed Demchuk, Paul Carey and Leo Rosenberg. Not all paths were crossed with the greatest of ease. In some cases, there were downright battles that were fought. But those are other stories.

By now, you should realize that while I am travelling through my history of chiropractic, I am not at liberty to set out all of my experiences, trials and tribulations. I am bound by what is commonly referred to as “solicitor – client privilege” meaning that there are certain adventures that can’t be told by me under pain of disaster. But there are still adventures that are outside of my constraints, so there is more to talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment